Tuesday 24 May 2011

Late Autumn in Auckland

I'm sat in our motel room again, trying to convince my code to connect to an Excel spreadsheet. (I'm doing an expense programme for Mrs. Willsy), and not having a lot of luck. I've got an awful feeling that one of the books I threw away to come here, had all the information in it that I needed.  Isn’t it always the way?  Well, I’ve learnt it all once, so I’m sure I can do it again.  It’s very fiddly using interops though, but you only have to do it once, and when you’ve got it right, it’s right forever.
I’ve had a look around the web at various things, and it would appear that the old school is hemorrhaging staff.  I wonder why that is?  Could it be something to do with management style?  As always, when the junta that run an establishment like the school begin to believe their own propaganda, then things are going to go from bad to worse, and it’s almost impossible to stop the slide.  When management notices that things are bad, it’s usually too late to stop them, and the ‘told you so’ from the trenches doesn’t help.
This new school that Mrs. Willsy is at seems a model of how to run a school properly.  The management follows all the things I learned in leadership school in the Navy, and they are so obvious that when they are pointed out to you, you shrug and say “I thought everyone knew that”.  These are things like giving praise where it’s due, when it’s due, and supporting peoples ideas, as well as a fairly open hand approach to budgets,  just to name but a few.  The trouble is that it’s very easy for a management team to think that they are important, and not just a steering mechanism.  The really bad thing about it is that at the old school, they seem to have forgotten that they are dealing with people, (if they ever knew that in the first place).

No comments:

Post a Comment